Artist trading cards (or ATCs for short) are small, baseball-card sized works of art that can be traded with other artists as a way to get creative, connect with other artists, make contacts, and collect great art! This on-going by-mail exchange is hosted by Jennifer Hines. Exchanges will take place approximately 3 times a year.
Artist Trading Cards Call for Artists
MAKE – TRADE – COLLECT – CONNECT
Deadline (received by): March 15, August 15, or November 15 each year
Want to participate? It’s free!
1. Make 9 artist trading cards
- Each card must be 2.5″x3.5″ (64 mm × 89 mm).
- Cards should be original artwork made by you, please no 100% digital or photographic prints of works (some parts can be digital or photographic, but not the entire thing please)
- Cards can be in any handmade medium, including painting, drawing, ink, cut paper, collage, mixed-media, textiles/cloth, printmaking, photography, etc. but must have some element of handmade on them.
- Cards can be all the same or all different, or any combination of the two.
- Cards must be two-dimensional enough to fit into a standard plastic sleeve used for baseball or collector’s cards.
- PLEASE NO EXTREMELY THICK, LUMPY OR OVERLY RIGID CARDS if possible. These cause higher postage due to non-machineable fees. Ideally the cards will still be flexible with little extreme variation in thickness.
2. Include your name and email and/or website on the back of each card (print it or write legibly!). Please also include the place you call home on each of your cards so we all can see where each card originates!
3. Put the 9 cards in a plastic baseball card sleeve (it has one slot for each of the 9 cards, find them at hobby stores, on Amazon, or include $1 USD wrapped in a sheet of paper and I will provide one for you on return). DO NOT send them in separate plastic sleeves.
4. In one pocket, please also include a business card or 2.5”x 3.5” sheet of paper with your name and email address. This is for my own mailing list to keep you informed of exchanges and receipt of your cards–it will not be sent out to other participants.
5. Include a large-sized SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) with at least 3 oz. ($~1.50) worth of postage to return your cards to you. Just one large envelope is needed.
- Envelopes that are full paper sized (8.5″x11″) are best so that the cards don’t need to be folded up. Choose a regular paper envelope to avoid parcel package fees (if your envelope is rigid cardboard, more postage is required because it is considered a parcel)
- At least 3 oz. worth of postage needs to be included–that’s around $1.40-$1.60 for a large paper envelope (and even more for a rigid envelope). One Forever stamp is not enough–keep in mind that some cards you receive may be heavy or three-dimensional so extra postage is a good idea.The cost to ship the cards to you may be more than it cost to ship your cards to me initially.
- Put your address as the return address too so that if the amount of postage is incorrect, it will still arrive at your door (but perhaps with postage due).
- If you cannot include an envelope (please include $1 for me to provide one) or want to try to reuse your original shipping envelope, please also include a pre-addressed label for me to use.
- Canadian candidates: please provide US postage stamps or enclose $3 USD for return postage, or email me to pay for payment of return postage on PayPal at paypal.me/JenniferHines (to pay $4 for return postage and fees). Please make sure the SASE you provide is a paper envelope and IS NOT a bubble wrap mailer or a hard cardboard envelope, otherwise postage is about $10 and customs forms have to be filled out.
- International candidates: please email me at email@example.com for instructions. To pay for return shipping, you’ll go to paypal.me/JenniferHines to send money for return shipping (cost may vary by country, but will most likely be around $5-$8 USD due to the PayPal fee). Please do not use foreign stamps or enclose foreign currency or I will not be able to ship your cards back to you. Please make sure the SASE you provide is a paper envelope and IS NOT a bubble wrap mailer or a hard cardboard envelope, otherwise postage is at package parcel rates and customs forms have to be filled out.
Please follow the instructions and tips above. Mail your 9 cards, contact information, plus your SASE to:
Artist Trading Cards
c/o Jennifer Hines
2744 N Mozart St
Chicago, IL 60647
Deadline (received by): November 15, 2017 (next deadline is March 15, 2018)
This is an ongoing volunteer project and there is no fee to participate, other than the return postage. A couple of weeks after the deadline, you will receive 9 new cards by other artists for your collection.
For more information, contact Jennifer Hines at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out the flickr page to see images of the cards, updated after each exchange: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzbqVsq
Participate! Spread the word!